Sunday, November 18, 2007

Special Bulletin 2

Another Special Bulletin. This time I wanted to give you all a heads up. On Friday I came down with Bell's Palsy, a temporary paralysis of one side of the face.

It's caused by an inflammation of the facial nerve, which passes through a small hole behind the ear. When it's inflammed, it gets "pinched" by the hole and stops working. Most people recover by three weeks. Here is a link to more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_Palsy

Just so you don't think I'm trying out my Rocky impersonation when you see me next!

5 comments:

Colin Wee said...

Does this mean I've got to bypass hitting you in the neck and going for the groin/arm/solar plexus? Colin

wmioch said...

Unfortunately not. I still have all my feeling and my ear area is quite sore where the nerve goes through the hole. So it will be even more debilitating...

Maybe go for the eye. It has trouble blinking....

Mir said...

Oh my goodness.. what a strange affliction! I do wish you a quick recovery.

Colin Wee said...

How are things going with you, Bill? Colin

wmioch said...

Thanks Mir!

As for how I'm going now Colin, this has really put me out for the last week or two. It started causing me a lot of pain and dizzy spells because it is so close to the ear. (Although with the pain, improvement in movement has come also.)

It's a good thing that the year is coming to a close. I've been teaching at an easy pace, but no training. With the dizzy spells, I'm also avoiding driving as much as possible.

Oh and the baby is keeping us up all hours. So much for "Get lots of rest and avoid stress."